Running a Family Business?Running a business can be challenging, and it can be even more complicated when family relationships come into the picture. We work with family businesses to help them succeed in business while maintaining and developing family relationships.
Family Relationships and Business: A Recipe for Trouble?How do you balance the interests of the business with the needs of individual family members? How do you make sure you treat non-family members fairly? If a member of staff performing poorly is also your relative, how you handle the situation? Is the second generation willing and able to take on leadership responsibility when the time comes?
Neutral, non-judgemental approachThe last thing you need is another subjective opinion. We do not judge any individual. Instead, we bring empathy, understanding, experience, expertise, and a structured approach with a focus on the future. We’ve helped many family businesses work through challenges to the business, the family unit, or both.
Specific outcomes from working with us can include:For the Business
- People in roles that best suit their strengths – an organisation chart.
- Clearly defined and agreed roles – simple job descriptions for all.
- Feedback to all employees – regular appraisals.
- Clear expectations that apply to every employee – Company Handbook.
- Transparent decision making – regular, structured meetings.
- Family members with improving management and leadership skills.
- Succession plan or plan for the business future.
- Individuals who are ready to lead when the current leader steps down.